DIY Gardening Tips

Garden Tips

Sunday, November 9, 2008

[MittleiderMethodGardening] NPK Blend - How Much is Needed?

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply :) I am anticipating that I will also
have to add 100lbs of magnesium sulfate and the requisite quantity of trace elements?

Also I have a little more than half an acre divided up into 132 soil grow-beds. Would I be correct in thinking that the quantity of fertilizer I calculated would be able to feed all 132 beds for 5 weeks (5.6 times)?

I have 18" by 30' grow beds, and I am a bit confused with the planting densities for tomatoes... is it 2 rows of 41 plants spaced at 8" or just one row that is used?

Thank you again for your assistance. Rick

Rick & Group:

You only plant one row per bed of all vertically-grown crops. And you need to be diligent and consistent in your pruning and removing suckers on the tomato plants at 8" apart.

I figure you need the following additional ingredients:
Magnesium sulfate - - - - - - - 105#
Boron - - - - - - - - - - - - - 6# 3 ounces
Zinc - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 6# 3 ounces
Manganese - - - - - - - - - - - 3# 8 ounces
Iron - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1# 3 ounces
Copper - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1# 3 ounces
Molybdenum - - - - - - - - - - - 9 ounces
Granular gypsum or lime - - - - - 11#

You have 750# of fertilizer, which will feed 132 beds 5.7 times.

It appears that you are really beginning to "get" the fertilizing. Congratulations.

You DO what you are planning, and you will have a tremendously successful garden.

Jim Kennard

--- In MittleiderMethodGardening@yahoogroups.com, Jim Kennard &
<rpn84@...> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have followed through the examples given by jim in other posts on
> how to work out the NPK requirements and I was hoping to have some
one
> critique my calculation I have made based on what is available in my
> location. I can get compound 13:13:21 and urea. Ammonium nitrate is
> not available unfortunately...
>
> Compound Quantity (Lbs) N P K
> 13:13:21 524 68 68 110
> 46:0:0 91 42
>
> This should total in pounds 110:68:110 if I got my math right???
>
> Any guidance would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rick
>
>
> Rick & Group:
>
> You got it right. The perfect ratio is 110-60-110, but since you
can't very well take part of the phosphate out of the 13-13-21 that's
as close as you can get it. And that will work fine.
>
> The next step is to figure how much of the other ingredients you
need to add, to make the complete Weekly Feed mix. Are you up for
that?
>
> Jim Kennard
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Share Photos

Put your favorite

photos and

more online.

Yahoo! Groups

Going Green Zone

Resources for a greener planet.

Resources for a greener you.

10 Day Club

on Yahoo! Groups

Share the benefits

of a high fiber diet.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

The Herb Gardener

Gotta Garden

Backyard Style