DIY Gardening Tips

Garden Tips

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Re: [ediblecontainergardens] Strawberries in Containers in FL

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 19:17:21 -0000, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>This fall/winter, I'm starting strawberries, and wanted to find out if
>people have had success with them in containers, and what kind of
>containers they seem to work best with. And if anyone had tips for
>growing strawberries!
>
>The choices I've seen for containers are:
>
>-Hanging baskets: plants coming out the top and sides.
>
>-Strawberry Jars: terra cotta for the most part, and I've read that
>inserting a PVC pipe with holes drilled in it that's been filled with
>gravel and watering through that helps ensure that the top plants get
>evenly watered as well.
>
>-Topsy Turvy Hanging Strawberry Planter:
>(http://howtogardenguide.com/2008/05/06/strawberry-bag/). I LOVE this
>idea, but I don't have a place on the side of the house or porch where
>I can hang the bag and get enough sun. And I haven't been able to find
>a free-standing stand. Same issue with the hanging baskets.
>
>Has anyone found a good, sturdy free-standing stand for hanging
>baskets and grow bags that isn't a fortune? I saw one at Gardener's
>Supply, but it's $99!
>
>So, what do you grow your strawberries in?
>
I just use regular containers - rectangular ones, shaped like a windowbox.
But next year, I'll probably change the strawberries to Self-Watering
Containers.

If you have enough room, then you don't NEED to use hanging planters (which
are admittedly pretty). Then I'd recommend convenience and a Self-Watering
Container.

Gardener's Supply (which is NOT cheap, as you know) has many very pretty
SWCs, including windowbox shapes. I have two of the SWC window boxes and
will probably put my strawberries in them next year.

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania
Website: www.meadows.pair.com/articleindex.html

"Rats and roaches live by competition under the laws of
supply and demand. It is the privilege of human beings to
live under the laws of justice and mercy." - Wendell Berry

__._,_.___
To join our Seed Exchange list, go to:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ecgexchange/

Need help with your membership? 
Email: ediblecontainergardens-owner@yahoogroups.com
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Moderator Central

An online resource

for moderators

of Yahoo! Groups.

Sell Online

Start selling with

our award-winning

e-commerce tools.

Popular Y! Groups

Is your group one?

Check it out and

see.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

The Herb Gardener

Gotta Garden

Backyard Style